[Xastir] Linux aprsdigi 2.4.4 released

Bill Vodall - WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Mar 9 12:37:01 EST 2004

> > Suppose I had a WiFi Access Point like a Wap 11 connected to my local
> > lan.  Could I use aprsdigi to redirect all aprs traffic heard on 144.39
> > (via AX25 in Linux) out the Wap 11?  How about the reverse?  Could I
> > run aprsdigi on a linux box at the other end of the street, pick up the
> > UDP broadcasts on the WiFi port and feed the packets out on AX25 RF -- on
> > 144.39 with a WIDE7-7 path of course.   :-)
>
> Yes,

> listened to.  BTW, you can multicast this so your "LAN" can be worldwide.  For
> instance, 233.0.14.99/12345 is getting everything heard by W2AEE here in NYC.

Is there any multicasting equivalnet of telnet?  How would I connect to
the port above to watch the stream flow?  Could it be done with a
small PERL widget?

> > How would this tie to aprs-is?  Could I use aprsdigi to feed the
> > entire aprs-is feed out a WiFi AP as UDP packets?
>
> Hmm, not in that direction.  But, you can run aprsd and aprsdigi on the same box

Hmm - Once again PERL might be a quick and dirty way to make more
packets.

> aprsdigi works with IP so it will work on any IP network.  I felt it was
> important to support UDP multicast as it maps one-to-one onto a broadcast LAN
> technology such as 802.11 but also wired, multicast-enabled, networks -- just
> like UI frames on AX.25 RF LANs.

This is such a natural match with APRS.  It's time we moved on
with your work.

73,
Bill - WA7NWP