[Xastir] Linux aprsdigi 2.4.4 released

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 8 10:21:13 EST 2004

Bill Vodall - WA7NWP wrote:
>>- Ability to specify a list of ports that get sent a verbatim duplicate copy
>>of all packets received on a given port. Useful for "reflecting" what's
>>heard on an RF port to a local LAN for instance. This is different from
>>APRS-IS (e.g. aprsd) since the data is sent with UDP (multicast or unicast).
>>Use with caution (or not at all) on RF ports.
>

> Suppose I had a WiFi Access Point like a Wap 11 connected to my local
> lan.  Could I use aprsdigi to redirect all aprs traffic heard on 144.39
> (via AX25 in Linux) out the Wap 11?  How about the reverse?  Could I
> run aprsdigi on a linux box at the other end of the street, pick up the
> UDP broadcasts on the WiFi port and feed the packets out on AX25 RF -- on
> 144.39 with a WIDE7-7 path of course.   :-)

Yes, except you might not want to use the dupe feature but just plain "routing"
in which digipeater callsigns get consumed.... Also you can set up a budlist by
callsign or IP address (with a netmask of course) so as to restrict who is
listened to.  BTW, you can multicast this so your "LAN" can be worldwide.  For
instance, 233.0.14.99/12345 is getting everything heard by W2AEE here in NYC.

> How would this tie to aprs-is?  Could I use aprsdigi to feed the
> entire aprs-is feed out a WiFi AP as UDP packets?

Hmm, not in that direction.  But, you can run aprsd and aprsdigi on the same box
with no problem so you can accomodate multicast UDP clients as well as
traditional aprs-is clients.

> What "clients" would receive these UDP packets?

Xastir, once I (or someone else) write the code:-)  It should be really simple
since it mirrors exactly what happens on an AX.25 UI interface.

> As Bob B. just asked on APRSSIG, the D-Star's are simple IP
> bridges with a bit more power then a WiFi AP.  If aprsdigi
> worked with a WiFi AP, then it would probably also work with
> the DStar to broadcast APRS traffic.

aprsdigi works with IP so it will work on any IP network.  I felt it was
important to support UDP multicast as it maps one-to-one onto a broadcast LAN
technology such as 802.11 but also wired, multicast-enabled, networks -- just
like UI frames on AX.25 RF LANs.  Also, is supports IP and IPv6 and Gerry and I
have discussed a possible neat way to do the same thing IPv6 does for unique
hardware addressing (EUI-64) for callsigns (you've got 64 bits available to
represent the hardware address which is just enough for a callsign with 16 bits
left over for a really big SSID:-).

> Always looking for more ways to make packets, cause trouble
> and pick on Curt...

Picking on Curt's always fun:-)
> 73,
> Bill - WA7NWP