[Xastir] Converting National Geographic Maps?

Ran Talbott ran at netgate.net
Mon Mar 8 18:02:06 EST 2004

There's a tantalizing reference to converting Topo! maps for use by
Xastir in one of the webpages about using it,  but I haven't found any
other mention of that except an old note on the xastir-dev list about
the possibility of doing it someday.

Since I don't have a broadband connection,  I bought a copy of Backroads
Explorer,  hoping to either get it to run under WINE (it doesn't,
dammit),  or at least get a collection of usable maps on CD.

I assume that BE is pretty much the same as Topo!,  but with 100K maps
instead of 24K.  So I'd really like to find out whether that conversion
program ever got done (or at least to the point where I could make it
usable without having to climb a long GIS learning curve).

Thanks,

Ran