[Xastir] USRadar.goe

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 8 15:30:03 EST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, N1OFZ wrote:

> I have been having some fun with the USRadar map overlay.  I am using
> 0x0ffffff for the transparency and it works well.

With the latest code it should work well on any color-depth display
from 8 to 32 bit.  I have yet to hear from people running 8 or 32
bit color though.  It's been verified on 16 and 24-bit color-depth
displays.

> I do have a question
> though, is it possible to somehow set the other colors to be partially
> transparent?

Not at present.

If you look in the code you'll see some comments about changing from
a single variable to a list for the transparency values.  That has
not been implemented.  If it had though, you'd be able to specify
multiple transparent colors in your .geo file and knock out more
stuff.

My initial idea in knocking out other colors was to be able to
display contour lines for topo maps on top of other maps.  I've
since found another method for this that is faster and uses vector
maps for the contours.  I've never gone back and tried to put the
transparent .geo stuff into lists because I lost interest in that.

> This morning I came down to a solid blue screen with some green areas.
> Since it was snowing this was no surprise.  The bummer is that I can't
> see the underlying map at all.  If an opacity level could be set for
> the whole layer it would be much more useful.  Somewhere around 50%
> would probably be good.  This way you could see through the Radar map.

We use tinting for other things in Xastir, but not for the base
maps.  Hadn't thought about doing that.  It can get tricky trying to
get the right colors to show when you're using the bit-blitting
functions on top of other map colors.