[Xastir] Linux aprsdigi 2.4.4 released

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Mar 9 21:56:05 EST 2004

Bill Vodall - WA7NWP wrote:
>>>Suppose I had a WiFi Access Point like a Wap 11 connected to my local
>>>lan.  Could I use aprsdigi to redirect all aprs traffic heard on 144.39
>>>(via AX25 in Linux) out the Wap 11?  How about the reverse?  Could I
>>>run aprsdigi on a linux box at the other end of the street, pick up the
>>>UDP broadcasts on the WiFi port and feed the packets out on AX25 RF -- on
>>>144.39 with a WIDE7-7 path of course.   :-)
>>
>>Yes,
>

>>listened to.  BTW, you can multicast this so your "LAN" can be worldwide.  For
>>instance, 233.0.14.99/12345 is getting everything heard by W2AEE here in NYC.
>

> Is there any multicasting equivalnet of telnet?  How would I connect to
> the port above to watch the stream flow?  Could it be done with a
> small PERL widget?

No.  It's closer to a subscription to the target address and port and
then you get the flow.

>>>How would this tie to aprs-is?  Could I use aprsdigi to feed the
>>>entire aprs-is feed out a WiFi AP as UDP packets?
>>
>>Hmm, not in that direction.  But, you can run aprsd and aprsdigi on the same box
>

> Hmm - Once again PERL might be a quick and dirty way to make more
> packets.

Or, JavAprsSrvr (it's late; I can't get the caps right:-) could
potentially be used...

>>aprsdigi works with IP so it will work on any IP network.  I felt it was
>>important to support UDP multicast as it maps one-to-one onto a broadcast LAN
>>technology such as 802.11 but also wired, multicast-enabled, networks -- just
>>like UI frames on AX.25 RF LANs.
>

> This is such a natural match with APRS.  It's time we moved on
> with your work.

Yeah, but it smacks of applying good network design practice when
talking about APRS networks:=)

gerry--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173