[Xastir] Script to split GNIS datafiles

spqr at kc9asi.cjb.net spqr at kc9asi.cjb.net
Sun Mar 14 19:43:14 EST 2004

For those of you who use the GNIS datafiles (handy labels for maps in the
US), you're probably sick of them taking so long to load the whole state's
information when you're zoomed in.  I sure was.

This little script attempts to intelligently split the file into smaller
chunks, vaguely on a county by county basis.

While it's at it, it will remove the trailing whitespace.

Note that "fromdos" may not be a standardly installed utility, but it is
used by this script.  It always seems to be on my Slackware systems.
(Part of the slackware "bin" package).

Hopefully, this attachment comes through the mailserver.

This is a trivial file, and hopefully it (or something like it) will get
added to the scripts directory of the xastir package.

--
KC9ASI - William Baguhn
http://www.qsl.net/kc9asi
kc9asi at qsl.net    spqr at squishyfish.cjb.net