[Xastir] Beginner - weather radar maps?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 15 12:37:42 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

> First, since I'm not doing a great job of keeping Curt updated on all
> I'm doing with the .geo's, I'd ask all to periodically go to
> http://mesonet.tamu.edu/APRS and snag the .geo's of interest.  I am
> still doing some tweaking because of system/program/operator problems
> and that's where I post the working files... or, at least I HOPE they
> work.  I do try to test 'em.

Have to watch you like a hawk!  I just updated the .geo file again,
before I made the middle-of-the-month development snapshot.

> But, to answer the question...
>
> Place USrad.geo in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/radar.  Use (from the
> pull-down menu) MAP->Map Chooser to select the file, then select the
> Properties button and tell the program to make USrad.geo an AutoMap.
> Close, Apply, and you should be downloading a radar image that'll
> automagically georegister to your display area.

You forgot to mention that ImageMagick support must be compiled in,
as well as either wget or libcurl support.  This allows Xastir to
use many types of image formats, either from local files, or via the
'net.

Once you have that support, start at the "./configure" stage again
in the installation procedure, to compile the support for it into
Xastir.

You also need to reindex your maps after you add the .geo file to
the maps directory.  After that it should appear in the Map Chooser,
assuming that ImageMagick support got compiled in properly.

See the README.win32 or the INSTALL files (depending on whether
you're running on Windows or Unix/Linux).