[Xastir] split_gnis script

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 15 19:06:12 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 spqr at kc9asi.cjb.net wrote:

> http://www.qsl.net/kc9asi/xastir/split_gnis.bash

Thanks.  I added it to the scripts directory.  Most appreciated!

Until now I've been manually splitting files into smaller ones using
grep.  I find it VERY useful to have the GNIS files broken up by
county this way.

Extra credit for someone:  Rewrite that script in Perl5 so that it
runs on more types of systems/more types of shells, and does the
dos2unix portion in Perl instead of relying on external programs.
Then it should work under KSH/CSH/BASH, on FreeBSD, Solaris,
Windows, Linux, MacOSX.

Right now it should be easy to get it working on any of those by
tweaking the "fromdos" line and making sure you're running it under
Bash.  We certainly have some users who would have trouble modifying
a script to suit their system though.  Everbody has to start
somewhere...

Thanks for helping to improve Xastir!  This is a BIG improvement in
speed.