[Xastir] split_gnis script

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 19 12:41:19 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Jack Twilley wrote:

> I have finished the script, and it looks good to me.  It has been
> added to the repository -- please play with it and let me know how it
> goes.  The only significant difference between my script and the bash
> script is that I use _ in place of space in file names -- names like
> WI_St._Claire.gnis look better to me visually.

And are a bit easier to deal with from the command-line.

> The WI_deci file is 12822732 characters in length.  The sum total of
> the county files is 4444905 characters -- hard to believe that
> two-thirds of the file is wasted space!  The number of lines in the
> WI_deci file is the same as the sum of county files, so no lines were
> lost.

Crap.  That's not good.  I knew the lines were long, but not THAT
long!

I wonder if we should add code to Xastir to create these smaller
files automatically, or at least trim off the excess?  The first is
probably not a good idea, but that second one might be.