[Xastir] no visible map display

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 19 12:55:11 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Portal Chris wrote:

> Knocked back to 16 bit color, no change.
>
> Reverted to ImageMagick 5.5.3 as recommended in the README.Win32, no change.
>
> No files in ~/.xastir/tmp
>
> Points maybe at libcurl for the culprit?
>
> I already tried turning the WinXP firewall off for testing.

Ok.  Let's get down to basics.  Process of elimination and all that.

Have you tried other maps with Xastir, like dosAPRS, winAPRS,
pocketAPRS maps?  Those should work without the support of any
additional libraries.

If those work ok, then you know that Xastir is functional.  Next we
need to find out whether ImageMagick is functional in the version
you have.

Using one of the above maps that work, turn on snapshots, then turn
it off again.  You should eventually get a couple of files in your
~/.xastir/tmp directory called snapshot.png and snapshot.geo.  Copy
those files to your /usr/local/share/xastir/maps directory, or a
subdirectory thereof.  Bring up Xastir and index new maps.
De-select the maps you used before, then select that snapshot.geo
map.  You should see that map come up ok, but now it'll be a raster
map instead of the vector maps you started with.

If that works fine, then we need to check your wget/libcurl stuff.
As I recall, you had both installed, right?  Try de-installing
libcurl and  then "./configure" and "make install" xastir again to
have it compile with only wget support.  Try again to see if you can
use internet maps.  If it works, then you have a problem with
libcurl but not with wget.

In any case, when you select an internet map, you should get files
in your ~/.xastir/tmp directory like map.jpg or map.gif, which are
the downloaded files.

Another way to test wget/libcurl is to fetch a station track from
findu.  That will create ~/.xastir/tmp/map.log if the download was
successful, and you should see the track show up on your map screen
for that station.