[Xastir] Map Problem

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 22 14:10:43 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, George D. Nincehelser wrote:

> A solution is to run vncserver with a depth of 16 (e.g. #vncserver -depth
> 16).  Everything works fine when I do that.

Good.

> I guess ImageMagick dithers down to 8 bits, but for some reason xastir
> doesn't.

Xastir tries to match your X11 server colordepth.  It's either
guessing wrong or the vnc server is reporting it wrong.

> One question, though.  Is it possible for xastir to work without X running?

Nope.  Not yet.  Xastir-2 should allow that.  We're not there yet.

> What I want to eventually get to is a system that publishes an image
> periodically on my web server.  I don't really require X day-to-day for
> anything else.  I guess I could keep the VNC server running, but is there a
> better way?

Even with Xastir-2 (just an idea so far), you'll still need a
graphics system somewhere in order to create the image.  Something
has to draw it before you can publish it.

> Thanks for the assist.  I'll probably have more questions as I try to get
> the APRS stuff working.

The AX25-HOWTO is the place to start.  A good group for questions
regarding AX.25 is the linux-hams mailing list, but I'm sure we have
some expertise on the Xastir lists as well.