[Xastir] Map Problem

George D. Nincehelser george at nincehelser.com
Mon Mar 22 14:03:46 EST 2004

OK.  Got it.

My X configuration defaults to 16-bit mode, but VNC on my server is
defaulting to 8-bit.

A solution is to run vncserver with a depth of 16 (e.g. #vncserver -depth
16).  Everything works fine when I do that.

I guess ImageMagick dithers down to 8 bits, but for some reason xastir
doesn't.

One question, though.  Is it possible for xastir to work without X running?
What I want to eventually get to is a system that publishes an image
periodically on my web server.  I don't really require X day-to-day for
anything else.  I guess I could keep the VNC server running, but is there a
better way?

Thanks for the assist.  I'll probably have more questions as I try to get
the APRS stuff working.

George