[Xastir] GPS settime

spqr at kc9asi.cjb.net spqr at kc9asi.cjb.net
Mon Mar 22 09:19:05 EST 2004

It looks like there should be a call to ENABLE_SETUID_PRIVILEGE (main.h)
before and a call to DISABLE_SETUID_PRIVILEGE (main.h) after the call to
settimeofday() in gps_data_find in gps.c in xastir/src

I am running xastir 1.3.0.  Sorry if this has already been fixed.

Symptoms:

while running xastir as root, I can get information from my GPS on the HSP
cable and set the system time appropriately.

While running xastir as my normal user, I can get GPS information (position,
etc) but it does not set the system time, even though the xastir binary is
setuid root.

Enhancement opportunity: knowing the "accurate" time, based on GPS data,
and the "inaccurate" system time, xastir could use the gps time (or system
time + offset, based on what the difference is between gps and system),
so that even if people don't want their computer's time to be right, the
transmitted time is right.  This will introduce many problems.  This should
probably not get implemented yet.

--
KC9ASI - William Baguhn
http://www.qsl.net/kc9asi