[Xastir] maps, etc

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Mar 29 13:17:17 EST 2004

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, James Jolin wrote:

> Have not tired  Dos/WinAprs maps.  You have the url?  Do they cover the
> state of Wisconsin?

There are DOSAprs and WinAPRS-format maps for all kinds of areas all
over the world.  These are vector maps and are not all the pretty to
look at, but they mostly do the job.  Something like

PocketAPRS maps should be available from www.pocketaprs.com.

Go to the end of my APRS Client Capabilities Chart at
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html

There you'll find links to most of the current APRS clients.  The
WinAPRS site should have links that take you to downloadable maps,
or you can go to the www.tapr.org site and look there.

> I have a maps directory with geo files ( two for Canada, tigermaps
> topomaps, etc). My version of xastir is 1.3.1. I will have to check the
> path.  What is the migration script?  This could be the problem because
> the debug says something about "can't find some configure file." Sorry,
> but I am in Windows right now and I can't look it up

Send the exact string please, and we might be able to help a bit
more.  Look for error/warning messages inside the xterm that you
start Xastir from.

The migration scripts are in the xastir/scripts directory:

    xastir-migrate.sh
    xastir-fixcfg.sh

You'll only need to run those if you originally had an older Xastir
that placed maps into the /usr/local/xastir/maps directory.  The new
location is /usr/local/share/xastir/maps.

You need to run "xastir-migrate.sh" as the root user.
"xastir-fixcfg.sh" is run as a normal user, but once per user
account that needs their config scripts converted to the new system.

> I just use one map at a time like you said once before.
> Lastly,  Help about says: "libraries used--  ax25, shapelib, libproj,
> geotiff, pcre and imagemagick."

To the other developers:  I wonder if we should add "wget" and/or
"libcurl" to that list, so that we can tell whether people have the
support compiled in?