[Xastir] Test Map Stream Active -- was (Free map access)

Brian D Heaton bdheaton at c4i2.com
Mon Mar 29 20:38:06 EST 2004

OK,

I've decided to put my "bytes where my mouth is"  (to coin a new
phrase).

I currently have the USGS-DRGs at 250K scale for the state of Georgia
streaming via Kast.  Information about Kast, which is a client for the
Konspire network, is available at the following URL:

	http://konspire.sourceforge.net/

In a nutshell its a more efficient method of distributing files than
bit-torrent.  It uses the concept of "channels" which you can subscribe
to.  I think its more efficient for our purposes as a user can subscribe
to a channel and as the data comes in it will spool.  With bit-torrents
you have to go find someone actively "seeding" the torrent to get
started.  All files sent are cryptographically signed so you know they
haven't been tampered with in transit.

The channel I've created for this is:

	"MAPS_US_GA_USGS_DRG_250K"

My intent is that channel names take the form of:

MAPS_<COUNTRY>_<STATE/PROVINCE>_<FORMAT SOURCE>_<FORMAT_TYPE>_<SCALE>

ie - for the 1:24Ks for Georgia (which I'll be putting up once folks get
a chance to check out the 250K channel) the channel name would be:

	MAPS_US_GA_USGS_DRG_24K

I've also created a channel called "MAPS_recommend" which will have the
channel names and keys streaming across it constantly.

If you'd like to create a channel and try it out either send me the
"receiver key" and I'll put it on one of my web hosts and start
announcing it via "MAPS_recommend" or send me the "click to subscribe"
link and I'll put that out across "MAPS_recommend".

I know there are going to be some hurdles as folks try to set this up,
so I'll be around to answer the flurry of questions.

			73/N5VFF