[Xastir] Free map access (was: Compression algorithm problem with DRGs)

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Tue Mar 30 11:03:57 EST 2004

Curt/Jeff,

	You're absolutely right about universities (and additionally some ISP
networks) shutting down gnutella type traffic.  This is due because of
both copyright issues and the copious amounts of bandwidth they suck
down.

	What I like about Konspire (and the kast app), is that its actually
quite light on bandwidth, and it only makes your system a party to
relaying channels that you have subscribed too.  For example, if you
subscribe to any of the MAPS_* channels that I started last night,
you'll get the data flowing across them and participate in the
distribution of them.  Since you aren't subscribed to the
"gobs_of_illegally_shared_stuff" channel you don't participate in any
way in the exchange of that tainted data.  Kast also allows you to
specify both the maximum upload and download rates it will use. It
leverages P2P distribution while giving the owner of the system pretty
fine grained control of what they partake of and participate in.

	From a firewall perspective there is only one port that has to be
punched through.  Kast does everying via port 6085(TCP).  Depending on
your configuration and setting this may or may not be a big issue.

	I added the 1:100K DRGs for GA as a new channel last night late.  I'll
probably add in CA, NV, and one other tonight for DRGs.  Then I'll start
working on DTEDs, SRTMs, etc.

	Let me know what ya'll think.

			THX/BDH