[Xastir] Problems installing Xastir

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.us
Sat May 1 17:24:12 EDT 2004

> From: "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Problems installing Xastir

> > I'm very new to Xastir so please bear with me. I am trying to install on
> > windows box using Cygwin. I have followed the README.win32 instructions
but
> > once I try to compile and install Xastir, I get many errors listed in
the
> > bash shell. A sample is at: http://kk6rw.com/xastirerr.png .

> What you're seeing there is that the png library is not being found
> by the linker, even though it is specified in the link line.  You've
> compiled all of Xastir, and it is trying now to link together all of
> the unresolved references between the .o files and the libraries in
> order to create the final executable.
>
> I suspect it is ImageMagick that has caused the "-lpng" option to be
> brought in at that stage.  Check whether there's a png library that
> you can load via the Cygwin setup.exe program.  If so, load it and
> try compiling Xastir again.  You're almost there.  So close you
> should be able to taste it.

After a few tries updating Cygwin, I still had the same error. I then
decided to try it all from scratch and now have Xastir compiled and running
under Cygwin. One thing I noticed was a change in some of the files for
Cygwin. There were files such as  xorg-x11-bin, etc this time downloading
Cygwin. I also noticed a lot of the xfree86 - components were not downloaded
as they were before. At any rate, the install went well and now running
Xastir.

I'm working on maps now. I have a few local maps in the Ui-View format that
I am going to try to convert. I use Ui-View with Precision Maps support but
realize Xastir does not support PM but then there looks to be a lot more
support for many different maps.
I've seen some references to Tiger maps and needing to compile Xastir with
dbfawk. I can't seem to find the proper syntax to do this (I'm very new to
*nix ways of doing things!) There sure is a lot of info in the archives
here! It's very helpful.

Thanks for your help and support!

Randy - KK6RW