[Xastir] Icom IC-T7h and MFJ-1270 TNC2

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun May 2 19:53:22 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Chris Abbott wrote:

> Ok, I have an Icom IC-T7H and a MFJ-1270 TNC. My first question is on
> the Icom, is the ptt wire suppose to lead to the ring(second notch of
> connector, after the tip) of the audio connector, since it uses a
> trs(tip/ring/shaft).

There are web sites that show wiring between various types of TNC's
and radios.  Try starting with nwaprs.org to see if you can find the
right info.  I don't have either of those, so I can't help you
directly.

> Also, I think I have an ok TNC start script, all it
> does is send the command converse to the tnc. Is this good or bad? And
> also, I would like a stop file for it as i can't figure out how to get
> the thing to stop without going into minicom
> and hitting control-c. Any help will be appreciated.

If you're running the TNC in normal serial mode (not KISS mode),
then you don't need to do the converse thing.  You can look at the
other startup files.  The tnc-startup.sys one might be a good one to
start from.  tnc-stop.sys should be close to what you'll need also.

If you get to the point where all of your software can talk to a
KISS TNC, you might want to throw your TNC into KISS mode and just
leave it there from now on.  Xastir can talk directly to a KISS TNC,
or you can set up AX.25 kernel networking (if running Linux) and
then you can share the TNC among lots of apps at once.  I don't
think I've had my TNC's out of KISS mode in a long time.

BTW:  It's a bit harder to get a TNC out of KISS mode, but it can be
done.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer