[Xastir] feature request

Brian D Heaton brian.heaton at janusresearch.com
Mon May 3 14:13:31 EDT 2004

Gerry,

<SERIOUS>
Actually, MGRS (while not called that), is specified as the US National
Grid by FGDC-STD-011-2001.  This comes out of the Federal Geographic
Data Committee and the stated intent is to:

"This standard seeks to improve the current situation by identifying a
single nationally consistent, humanly facile grid reference system as
the preferred U.S. National Grid (USNG) and promoting its use within the
NSDI."

Once you get used to it MGRS is very easy to work with and moving from
paper maps to on-screen display is very easy.  Its also easy to use the
handy overlays and protractors.  I've used MGRS enough that I can look
at pairs of coordinates in varying degrees of precision and know roughly
their relation on the map.
</SERIOUS>

<HUMOR>
Why only mortar fire?  The real issue is to communicate the
request-for-fire message, with a proper ACK, and transmit the requested
target coordinates via APRS message.  Once that has been transmitted,
the AFECC (APRS Fires & Effects Coordination Cell) will utilize embedded
databases to match the most effective platform with the transmitted
target.  The AFECC will then use the APRS network to communicate a fire
mission to the selected platform.  Once the mission is fired it can be
communicated back to the AFECC who will relay the data via APRS message
to the requesting station.  Should adjustment be necessary, and
additional APRS message could adjust the fire appropriately.

This will make full spectrum of effects available to combat those
individuals causing interference to the APRS network via inappropriate
configurations (WIDE7-7/TRACE7-7 digipaths, or 500ms TXDELAYS).

Although this does become one of those times that the difference between
NAD27, NAD83, and WGS84 becomes *VERY* significant.
</HUMOR>

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:35, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> The asocial side of me is thinking we need to recognize MGRS in Xastir.
>   And, perhaps UI-view, although Roger's not responded to my last
> missive on compressed objects...
>
> <HUMOR>
> I'd like to suggest (currently in jest; this MAY change) that digi ID's
> go to MGRS 1km grids (9 char: 18SUU8401 as an example) and the default
> for objects and positions is 1m grids (18SUU836014 as an example...).
> In my benevolent plan, we'd allow position degradation by using fewer
> characters of grid precision.
>
> Complaints could be dealt with by placing a mortar round in the grid
> square last reported by the complaintant.  I've not figured out how to
> handle collateral damage caused when someone reports 1m accuracy with
> 25m error...
> </HUMOR>
>
> 73, all,
> Gerry
Brian D Heaton
Senior Network Engineer
Janus Research Group
(706) 791-8342
GPG Fingerprint: C99E 3E9C E23A 4E47 46F4 0A77 3A45 CB65 9E19 5B0A