[Xastir] New install on FC1

KC7ZRU kc7zru at arrl.net
Thu May 6 23:23:51 EDT 2004

Hey all.

Got me a Fedora Core 1 box setup at the office now. Naturaly put xastir
on it - been running for a few days and thought there weren't any
problems. But this evening I tried to use the Srb_xxx.geo files for the
NWS online radar overlays - and nothing showed (restarted, deleted the
map_index file, re-indexed all maps). Also, the county weather alerts
(yea, NWIS shapefiles are in /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties) aren't
being drawn on the display.

You can find the zip arvhive of the Srb_xxx.geo files I'm using at:

ftp://ftp.kc7zru.net/xastir/maps

No errors indicated - just stuff ain't showing. Watched a flood watch
come in for North Carolina - but nothing on the maps.

I think I've seen others mention this or a similar problem and it turned
out to be a problem with a particular ImageMagick version?? ./configure
was happy and it's summary said ImageMagick woudl be used.

ImageMagick-5.5.6-5.i386.rpm and ImageMagick-devel-5.5.6-5.i386.rpm

Just look'n for a direction to go hunt'n in tomarow. More'n willing to
wipe the IM rpms and install from tarball - just s'long as I know what
flavor to go with. Or, pointers as to what I skimmed over too quickly in
the documentation - wouldn't be the first time....

Thanks!