[Xastir] Desired object/item operation?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 7 15:29:23 EDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Josh Keller wrote:

> What about doing something similar to National Geographic Topo....in Topo
> you can create waypoints, markers, routes, bearing lines, labels etc...and
> can save all of that information to a single file. When we conduct a search
> I start off by saving a file with the date...then whenever I make changes I
> resave, that way I can pull the same screen back up if the system crashes. I
> can also come back months later and load that search for any number of
> reasons, it does come in handy.
>
> What about creating a "save" feature, which would save all the objects,
> stations, drawings, tracks, etc. on the screen and at that point clear the
> main log file out. That way you would not lose anything if the system
> crashes because it is constantly saved in the log, yet it also gives a clean
> and easy way to start fresh, yet maintaining all of that information for
> later.
>
> Of course that would also come with a load feature, which would load all of
> that information back at once...for reviewing a mission, printing a map 3
> months later, etc.
>
> Maybe something similar does exist, I've not been able to figure it out
> though.

Objects/Items/CAD-Objects that you create are persistent across
reboots via the object.log file.

TNC Logging will allow you to suck in the log file again when you
start up, in order to re-create what happened before, but if there
are a lot of packets it will take quite a while to load.  I saw the
note about grep'ing for specific callsigns, and that would work as
well.

Some of the feature requests are concerned with making the rest of
the display persistent as you describe.  I don't see one for
documenting an event, but that's been on my mind for a while too.

We'd need to save all station positions/tracks/info, weather alerts,
messages, objects, items, CAD objects, and anything else that can be
generated during a search.

Create a feature request for that, with lots of detail, so it's not
forgotten.