[Xastir] Re: [Xastir-dev] Desired object/item operation?

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Fri May 7 23:54:41 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 09:14:11AM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':

> Tweaking the object/items stuff a bit.  Noticed some incorrect
> logging of items in the object.log file which I fixed.  That'll get
> checked in shortly.
>
> While working on that I noticed some inconsistent operation.  It has
> to do with creating objects/items, moving them around, killing them,
> and then creating new objects/items with the same names.
>
> If you do that while Xastir is running continuously, you get
> tracklines from the old killed objects to the new.  You'll see all
> positions of both.

Yep, I noticed that.  Again and again.

> If you do that and then kill/restart Xastir, causing it to load the
> object.log file on startup that way, you only get tracks for the
> "new" objects/items.  The tracks do not go back to the old positions
> before the initial kill.
>
> For SAR I'd like to have a persistent display across restarts.
> Right now the displays are different across a restart.
>
> What is the desired operation here?

Well, as long as you ask, I *hate* the "connect new object of the same
name to any killed object" behavior.  Fact is, in the "heat of battle"
on SAR missions I often get a point wrong the first time I enter it (perhaps
I get fat-fingered and enter 35d instead of 34d in there, or somehow
delete the W in the longitude and wind up with an object in China), and the
only way to clear the mistake off my display is to kill the object, then
create a new one with a different name.  I would be very happy if Xastir
would ignore positions in the database for killed objects, and only display
the ones that are not marked as killed.

Persistent display is good, too --- don't display killed points before or
after the restart.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?"