[Xastir] Desired object/item operation?

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat May 8 11:34:14 EDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Sadowski, Allan wrote:

> This does talk to a need I posted earlier here... and caused my mind to
> wonder (and wish I was a programmer)...  My need to post "objects" on
> the screen (hospitals, logistics/supply points, shelters, communications
> nodes, etc).  I have the objects in a text file... and it'd be nice that
> (like when you get station info).. I could get info about the object as
> well...
>
> THEN it really gets my mind going (and really wishing I could
> program)... to be able to easily edit the maps/charts I have... get rid
> of the island off of Cape Hatteras on one of my maps... Finish I40 on
> another map... put I540 on ANY map I have... ;)

There's a section on "Rolling your own shapefile maps" in
README.MAPS.  Perhaps we need a section on rolling your own GNIS
maps too?  I think GNIS map format would give you what you need for
overlays of objects.

Perhaps we could create a script that would take a simplified file
like this:

label,lat,long,symbol
label,lat,long,symbol

And turn it into a GNIS file?

Anyone want to tackle that?  Should be an easy task in Perl.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer