[Xastir] More Xastir questions.

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.us
Sat May 8 19:00:16 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I wrote in previously about not being able to get the Shapelib libraries to
work properly in Xastir running under Cygwin.

I'm at a loss trying to figure how to accomplish thsi function. Below is a
short bit of a screen captur while trying to do the Adding Shapelib (tested
with shapelib-1.2.10):" instructions in README.win32

Randy at main ~src/xastir
$ make install
Making install in src
make[1]: Entering directory ~/home/Randy/src/xastir/src'
make[2] Entering directory ~/home/Randy/src/xastir/src'
/bin/bash ..mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
  /usr/bin/install -c xastir.exe /usr/local/bin/xastir.exe
/usr/bin/install: cannot remove ~/usr/local/bin/xastir': Permission denied
make[2]: ***[install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ~home/Randy/src/xastir/src'
make[1]: ***[install-am] Error 2
make[1]: ***Leavign directory ~/home/Randy/src/xastir/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Error Chmod

$ chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir
chmod: changing permissions of ~/usr/local/bin/xastir': No such file or
directory

As it says there are errors, I'm assuming there is something worong with
either my syntax or something missing that I need to install. I have had
anumber of small problems trying to get Xastir up and running on my system.
I'm wondering if I have a good install of Cygwin.

The shapelib libraries seem to be of great importance in gaining access to
many of the good mapping capabilites. So far, I've just been able to use a
couple APRS Dos maps as well as some UI-View maps.

I would certainly appreciate any comments or suggestions on ways to get the
Shapelib feature working.

Thanks and 73

Randy Whitney
KK6RW