[Xastir] re: More Xastir questions.

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.us
Sun May 9 18:00:17 EDT 2004

[SNIP]
> With the dual Xastir.exe files, it seems I may have hosed up the install
in
> some way.
>
> Thank you for your help. As you've probably surmised, I've not been
working
> with Linux very long but I am trying to learn.

I'm not familiar with Cygwin, but in Linux, when you do 'make install',
the copy of the xastir executable binary in xastir/src gets copied to
the destination directory but is not deleted from src.  No problem.

That does sem to be the case Bob. Thanks for the clarification.

Bob, N7XY

Following along the lines of the previous questions regarding the root user
in Cygwin, I have found another error that seems to be related. While doing
the CVS UPDATE as explained in the README.win32 help file :
**********************
Side Note:  Here's the coolest thing about CVS:  Once you've done
this initial source-code download, you'll never have to do the whole
Xastir download again.  You'll just go into the "src/xastir"
directory and type "cvs update", which will snag just the _changes_
to the files since you last updated, and is very fast.  Compile and
install at that point and you'll be running the latest developer's
version in just a few minutes!  It's very easy to keep up with the
developers this way.

When I try to do the cvs update, I get an error saying: CVS Update: No
CVSROOT specified! Please use the '-d' option cvs [update aborted]: or set
the CVSROOT enviroment variable.

This error message seems to follow along with other suggestion that I need
to go to the root user using 'su'

I'd like to have a Linux only box but for ow I have to stick with the CygWin
approach.

My thanks to all who have offered help and suggestions!

Randy