[Xastir] RE: more Xastir questions

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.us
Mon May 10 05:17:51 EDT 2004

Hello All,

My thanks to all who have helped with my newbie questions.

[SNIP]
> This error message seems to follow along with other suggestion that I need
> to go to the root user using 'su'

Nope.  What you need to do is go to your randy/src/xastir directory,
then type the command.

CVS uses some special files located in subdirectories called "CVS".
If there isn't a "CVS" subdirectory below where you currently are
at, then CVS doesn't know what repository you're trying to talk to,
or what set of source code from that repository to fetch.  Once you
fetch the CVS archive the first time, all the sources are snagged,
the CVS subdirectories are created and populated with the CVS
book-keeping information, and you're good to go.

I can do this:

    cd
    cvs update

And get the same type of error, because I'm at my home directory
then, not the Xastir source directory.

If I do this instead:

    cd src/xastir
    cvs update

Then I'll get the latest updates.

This procedure worked! Thanks,

>From another message:

> Another user also sent a message indicating I needed to go to the root
user
> or "su" however that did not solve the problems.

The reason is that you're on Cygwin, not on a Unix or Unix-like
system.  You don't have anything resembling the root user.  You're
always root user.

> Another interesting thing I ran across this morning. I have 2 Xastir.exe
> files. One is at G:/cygwin/usr/local/bin/ . The other is at
> G:/cygwin/home/randy/src/xastir/src/.

The first would be the one you'd normally run.  The second is the
version you compiled from sources, that gets copied to the bin
directory by "make install".

> I have tried using the "su" but I receive an error - user root does not
> exist

Correct.

This makes sense and now that I run it properly it works. Thanks.

I am going to try to put a version of Suse on my machine, then dual boot. I
need the machine mainly for windoze programs but having a Unix style program
would be helpful. I still will need to use cygwin to run Xastir while I'm
running XP Pro however. I can see Cygwin has its limitation and quirks but
I'm sure with enough effort I can get it to run Xastir.
Thanks for all the help and feedback.

Randy