[Xastir] New install on FC1

KC7ZRU kc7zru at arrl.net
Tue May 11 02:45:26 EDT 2004

Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> I've always preferred tarballs for ImageMagick.  IM is not usually "up
> to date" to the RPM stage, because A) they're rarely stable and B) they
> reissue so fast!

OK guys - I'm get'n just a "wee bit" frustrated with my head pounding
here. I've a perfectly functioning xastir install here at the house on
RH 7.3 - but my FC1 setup at the office is give'n me some serious
aggrivation (and it was all look'n pretty good last week! Then I tried
to *do* things with it, like use the features beyond online tigermaps).
Reference earlier question about what I assumed was a problem w/
ImageMagick - it ain't. Tarball, RPM, different versions - same effect.

Now, to clarify, the problem is the srb_xxx.geo files are NOT showing up
in the Map Chooser - not that they aren't displaying like my feeble
brain reported to itself Saturday. I've checked and double checked
permissions - same as at the house. Even waxed out my source directory
and sucked down a fresh go from CVS today. I even went so far as to SCP
into my home machine and snarf over the exact same
/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/geos/srb_*.geo files that are working at
home. Re-indexing, restart, delete map_index.sys, re-start, re-index all
in various sequences - no chage.

Another something I'm seeing. I've compiled 'er up with Festival
support. But, if I start the festival server and xastir tries to use it,
CPU goes to %100 utilization and freezes. Festival I can live without -
but if anyone's got some ideas there too....

What the flock did they do to FC1??

Pointers and suggstions from any corner welcome - even if they're not
the most helpful look'n at first blush.