[Xastir] New install on FC1

KC7ZRU kc7zru at arrl.net
Wed May 12 03:08:00 EDT 2004

Curt, WE7U wrote some questions:

Sorry Curt - tried twice to reply to this from work today, and it ain't
made the reflector yet - can only figure something's screwed up with my
ISPs webmail service.

Third try is a charm as they say

> Is it possible that you've run a quite-old Xastir on there at some
> point and your xastir.cnf file has the wrong paths in it?

Nope, brand new FC1 install - xastir only from CVS. Oldest it could've
been is about 2 weeks.

> You
> should be pointing at /usr/share/local/xastir/maps these days,

check: it is. Do these srb_xxx.geo files need to be in
~/xastir/maps/Online ???

ftp://kc7zru.net/xastir/maps/Srb_geos.zip for the colection of files I'm
using here.

> Go into the maps directories where you're having troubles with the
> files and try "display filename".

Well, the files that aren't showing up in the map chooser are the text
srb_xxx.geo files. However, if I follow the URL in the file, save the
referenced gif file localy and then run 'display latest.gif' - I get a
great display of a radar image.

> I assume your summary.log file shows ImageMagick if you're able to
> access online maps.  Here's what mine looks like (SuSE 9.0):

OK, between CITRIX and SCP I managed to get into the company LAN and
read this file from that box at work, here's the contents:

  Festival ShapeLib ImageMagick libProj GeoTiff GDAL/OGR PCRE

> Check your ~/.xastir/config/map_index.sys file to see if those maps
> got indexed at all.

/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/<win|WY> both show in the map_index.sys
file same as the ~/xastir/maps/geos directory does. Difference is
<win|WY> also have their respective files listed. None of the
srb_xxx.geo files are listed in map_index.sys nor do they show in the
map chooser.

Permissions/ownerships are set as -rwxr--r-- root root for all the
files, directories also have go+x same as they are on this box here at
the house, that works.

Thanks again - sorry the replies haven't been getting to the reflector.