[Xastir] Error with imagemagick

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu May 13 10:41:19 EDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Zoli - HA5OB wrote:

> I have debian sid with installed imagemagick and devel libs.
>
> imagemagick       6.0.1-1
> libmagick++6       6.0.1-1
> libmagick++6-dev 6.0.1-1
> libmagick6           6.0.1-1
> libmagick6-dev     6.0.1-1
> perlmagick           6.0.1-1

That's a very new ImageMagick.  We've had very few reports of
success with that one yet.  If you have a choice, you might try a
version before 6.0.0.

> checking for Magick-config... yes
> checking magick/api.h usability... yes
> checking magick/api.h presence... yes
> checking for magick/api.h... yes
> checking for WriteImage in -lMagick... no
> configure: WARNING: *** Cannot find ImageMagick library files:  Building w/o
> ImageMagick support. ***

Configure first checks for the header files (*.h files), then tries
to compile/link a sample program to the library.  It is failing to
link the sample program against libMagick.  This is often caused by
other problems in the ImageMagick distribution, like failing to call
out other necessary libraries, such as libjpeg, liblcms, etc.  Check
the config.log file to see what it is complaining about at that
point.  Sorry, that's an ImageMagick and/or Debian problem, not an
Xastir problem.  If you find something wrong there, please report it
back to the Debian maintainers.

Man am I getting tired of repeating the blurb about ImageMagick...
;-)  This is a recurring nightmare for us, as the package
quality-control for ImageMagick just doesn't appear to be there.
That and they like to change the API on us (applications programming
interface) without warning.

> checking for pj_init in -lproj... no
> checking for TIFFClose in -ltiff... no
> checking netax25/ax25.h usability... yes
> checking netax25/ax25.h presence... yes
> checking for netax25/ax25.h... yes
> checking for ax25_config_load_ports in -lax25... no
> checking gdal.h usability... yes
> checking gdal.h presence... yes
> checking for gdal.h... yes
> checking for GDALAllRegister in -lgdal... no
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating callpass/Makefile
> config.status: creating config/Makefile
> config.status: creating help/Makefile
> config.status: creating m4/Makefile
> config.status: creating scripts/Makefile
> config.status: creating src/Makefile
> config.status: creating symbols/Makefile
> config.status: creating xastir.spec
> config.status: creating config.h
> config.status: config.h is unchanged
> config.status: executing depfiles commands
> xastir 1.3.2 has been configured using the
> following external libraries.
>

> Building with AX25.......... : no
> Building with Festival...... : yes
> Building with GPSMan........ : yes
> Building with ShapeLib...... : yes
> Building with ImageMagick... : no
> Building with libproj....... : no
> Building with GeoTiff....... : no
> Building with GDAL/OGR...... : no
> Building with pcre.......... : yes
> Building with dbfawk........ : yes
>
> When uninstall libmagick-dev packages, configure success with ax25, libproj,
> geotiff and gdal.

That's just plain weird.  I recall some interaction at one point
between ImageMagick and ax25 detection in Xastir's configure, but
haven't heard of that for a while.  It makes no sense that others
would disappear if ImageMagick failed.  Perhaps we have a variable
that gets set at the first failure which causes others to appear to
fail?  If so, we should put ImageMagick at the bottom of the list!
;-)

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer