[Xastir] NWS warning overlays still used?

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Sat May 15 08:58:11 EDT 2004

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004, Kurt A. Freiberger wrote:
>
>>Are the old mapfiles that would color a whole county with transparent
>>legens like STORM WARNING or the like still used, or is the new colored
>>outline the replacement?
>
> We still have the tinted weather alerts.  Those are determined via
> NOAA maps in the /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties directory, and
> having Shapelib installed.  Also, whether you configure using
> --with-dbfawk may affect whether they are displayed (or how they are
> displayed).  I haven't played with dbfawk enough yet to figure out
> whether everything is good there.  If you skip the dbfawk stuff the
> weather alerts should definitely work.

Yes, the tinted weather alerts work when --with-dbfawk is used to configure
the sources.

With some massive rain that blew through here the past day or two, my county
had 3 or 4 overlays... Even one overlay makes it hard to see the roads on
the map. Would it be useful to change the overlay to something a bit less
"covering"?

-Lance KJ5O
--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://map.findu.com/kj5o-12
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.