[Xastir] New user - couple of questions

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu May 20 18:54:38 EDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Alessio Sangalli wrote:

> Hi, I'm a new APRS and Xastir user. I tested it for a while and it's
> great! Many friends and the local amateur radio club now want to try it.
> So the first question is: isn't there an already compiled version of
> Xastir for win32? To be honest I didn't read *all* Readme.win32, because
> I don't even have windows, but an average windows won't like to pass
> even through a cvs checkout :)

We require the Cygwin emulator in order to run on Windows (because
Xastir is a native X-Windows application, not a Windows
application), plus we require X-Windows to be installed under
Cygwin.

Because there are so many differences in what libraries you might
have installed and in which versions of Cygwin & Windows you're
running under, it is easier for us at this time to suggest that
people install via the instructions in README.win32.  You have a
higher assurance that way of getting something running.

As an alternative, you might check out "WinXastir" from Lintronics
(A google search should find it easily):  That is available for
cheap and provides Windows users with one CD to do the entire
install from.  If things work out well I'll have a CD in my hot
little hands very shortly to play with (perhaps tomorrow).

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer