[Xastir] help with xastir

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat May 22 18:46:49 EDT 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Michael Mullikin wrote:

> I have just attempted to install xastir on a dual boot  dos/win 2000 amd
> 1.0 gig machine.  The programs seems to run fine.  It will receive stations
> and plot them on the screen it will also transmit my beacons.  Success I
> thought but I am unable to get maps to show up on the screen.
>
> I downloaded the FL maps from xastir.tamu.edu.  I have shape installed i
> think I placed just the Orange county maps in the
> usr/local/share/xastir/florida/orange/.  But I seem not to be able to
> access them.  In fact I have not been able to get any map to show on screen.

Xastir uses the /usr/local/share/xastir/maps directory, and
subdirectories thereof.

You need to reindex before they'll show up in the map chooser.  If
you've got a version of Xastir that was out within the last couple
of months you should also have a summary.log file which tells which
modules are compiled in, and the Help->About dialog should also tell
you which libraries you have installed.

Sometimes the timestamps on downloaded files are kept when you
explode them, and older than Xastir's index file.  In that case
you'll either need to "touch" each file to update the timestamp, or
do the index-all option in Xastir (which ignores timestamps).

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer