[Xastir] help with xastir

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat May 22 18:54:50 EDT 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Michael Mullikin wrote:

> I have just attempted to install xastir on a dual boot  dos/win 2000 amd
> 1.0 gig machine.  The programs seems to run fine.  It will receive stations
> and plot them on the screen it will also transmit my beacons.  Success I
> thought but I am unable to get maps to show up on the screen.
>
> I downloaded the FL maps from xastir.tamu.edu.  I have shape installed i
> think I placed just the Orange county maps in the
> usr/local/share/xastir/florida/orange/.  But I seem not to be able to
> access them.  In fact I have not been able to get any map to show on screen.
>
> I certainly would appreciate any and all suggestions on how to solve this
> problem.

You installed a .shp, .shx, and .dbf file for each map, right?  Each
Shapefile map is a set of three (or more) maps.  Xastir currently
requires three, but a .prj map may be necessary in the future, if we
switch to using the GDAL/OGR library instead of Shapelib directly.

If you want to get SOME map to display, try a dosaprs, winaprs, or
pocketaprs map.  Those are supported by Xastir without any external
map libraries compiled in, so all versions of Xastir should support
them.  Another type that is supported by all is USGS GNIS, but those
are only point maps, not lines/polygons.

What's your summary.log file look like?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer