[Xastir] (no subject)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon May 24 15:36:42 EDT 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Luc Dore VA2KSH wrote:

> Here is an interesting command that uses the multimap internet site for
> online maps.  Would this be an interesting add-on to Xastir that can be
> used in the same method that issues a wget for tigermaps ?
>
> -- of course this is a single line -- map=`curl
> "http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=<decimal
> latitude>&lon=<decimal longtitude>&scale=25000&width=800&height=600" |
> grep -i 'input name="multimap"' | sed -e 's/^.*src="//g' -e 's/"
> alt=.*//g'`; wget $map
>
> for my home it looks like this :
>
> map=`curl
> "http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=45.5419&lon=
> -73.8926&scale=5000&width=800&height=600" | grep -i 'input
> name="multimap"' | sed -e 's/^.*src="//g' -e 's/" alt=.*//g'`; wget
> $map
>
> and there's the map in gif ready for use....
>
> This site contains maps readily available for Europe, Canada, the US
> and many other places.
>
> Looks interesting to me, especially for those of us that aren't covered
> by the tigermaps.

We've done it for terraserver satellite images, terraserver topo
maps, and tigermaps so far, but we add custom code to Xastir in
order to do such things.  Creating a URL that goes along with the
current map view is not trivial.

Perhaps one of the developers might be enticed to work on this?

Another perhaps:  Maybe another .geo feature could be added which
provides the mapping between screen view and URL?  If that were
done, we could convert the above three to the new method, add the
site Luc suggested above, and add more easily in the future.

If it's possible.

Anyone want to tackle that, or at least thing about how to do so?

Looking forward to more discussion on this.