[Xastir] Windows 98 feature after deleting Cygwin/Xastir

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Mon May 24 17:42:06 EDT 2004

I've been doing LOTS of installs of Xastir/Cygwin and the corresponding
removals of the entire Cygwin system.   That's hundreds of megabytes and
thousands of files.   It appears that some resource in Windows 98 is used up
by doing the large delete.   It takes a significant time for the folder I delete
"cygwin" out of to come back to life, redraw, and again respond to clicks and
other events.  Following this massive delete, very often other window redraws
and actions on the desktop suffer the same multi-minute freeze in activity.  The
only cure I've found is to reboot.

(Empty space added for Curt's obligatory Linux comment.   :-)   )

Does anybody here know what "feature" of Windows 98 I'm running in to
and if there's a real fix for it?   I'm essentially up to date on Windows patches.

Thanks.
Bill - WA7NWP