[Xastir] MultiMap site WAS (no subject)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue May 25 13:25:52 EDT 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Luc Dore VA2KSH wrote:

> What I like about the possibility of the multimap site is simply that
> I've noticed, since I started working with Xastir how tough it was to
> get good, street-level maps for those of us not in the United States.

I'd certainly like to see support for more non-U.S. maps.  We
certainly do have it good over here, map-wise.

> This mapping site seems, to me, the most attractive solution so far as
> it covers Europe, North America, South America (maybe not entirely),
> and the Orient.
>
> One must point out though that the site may change formatting, and url
> information at any time, leaving us without much; but for the time
> being, I really like it.

Have you checked out the licensing on the site yet?  I have not.  If
they are changing the page every so often, I wonder if they'd like
an open-source application tapping in to their resource?

> What would be cool to consider would be a new file format where Xastir
> can pass along parameters of the current window; e.g. the window center
> is xxx lat, yyy long with zzz zoom level, the window is aaa wide by bbb
> high, and have the file format respond with either a url or local file
> (the $map in my example) and have it displayed.  And where that file
> format could shell out or do some other functions.

I was thinking more along the lines of a .geo file that had part of
an algorithm or an entire function in it.  Xastir could read the
.geo, verify that the algorithm/function wouldn't crash things, then
use that algorithm to create the URL to fetch the map image.

Any takers?  Might be a fun project, but I can't take that on right
now.