[Xastir] Mapping site

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 28 16:45:21 EDT 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Luc Doré wrote:

> Here is an interesting command that uses the multimap internet site for
> online maps.  Would this be an interesting add-on to Xastir that can be
> used in the same method that issues a wget for tigermaps ?

> for my home it looks like this :
>
> map=`curl
> "http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=45.5419&lon=
> -73.8926&scale=5000&width=800&height=600" | grep -i 'input
> name="multimap"' | sed -e 's/^.*src="//g' -e 's/" alt=.*//g'`; wget
> $map
>
> and there's the map in gif ready for use....
>
> This site contains maps readily available for Europe, Canada, the US
> and many other places.
>
> Looks interesting to me, especially for those of us that aren't covered
> by the tigermaps.
>
> Tell me what you think.

I gave this site a quick look.  They have severe limitations on
using their site in a free manner.  This is the page that spells it
all out:

    http://www.multimap.com/static/freemaps.htm

If we wanted to show a map along with their banner ads, we could.
If we wanted to show just the map portion, we'd have to pay.  I
certainly don't blame them:  They have to make money, plus it
appears they have licensing restrictions themselves on the map data
they have to buy from others.

If you come up with a site that has no such restrictions, we'd be
more than happy to hear about it.  If we were to use their
non-banner maps directly without paying we'd probably get sued.

In the meantime, there are other map options using free maps, but
not online maps.  The selection is a bit more sparse than the U.S.
map selection, but there's not much I can do about that.