[Xastir] Xastir leaking (socket) file descriptors?

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Wed Nov 3 16:05:34 EST 2004

Hello,

After Xastir runs for about a day, I notice that my NET type connections
fail as well as logging ceases to function (stderr prints "Couldn't open
file for appending: filename"). It happened first yesterday or the day
before and I just restarted Xastir and everything was fine. Now today it
happened again with the same symptoms. I checked the output of lsof and
this is what I get for Xastir, for around 1000 lines:

xastir    31869  oh2kku 1015u  sock        0,0             1910852 can't
identify protocol
xastir    31869  oh2kku 1016u  sock        0,0             1910859 can't
identify protocol
xastir    31869  oh2kku 1017u  sock        0,0             1910870 can't
identify protocol
xastir    31869  oh2kku 1018u  sock        0,0             1910877 can't
identify protocol

There are also the usual library files etc opened by Xastir. I guess the
socket count is limited by ulimit, which is 1024 open files. I'm running
Fedora Core 1 and Xastir from CVS, compiled on October 29. I have a
feeling I didn't have this problem on the previous CVS build I was
running that was maybe a few weeks to a month older.

   Tapio