[Xastir] Xastir leaking (socket) file descriptors?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 3 16:19:26 EST 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Tapio Sokura wrote:

> After Xastir runs for about a day, I notice that my NET type connections
> fail as well as logging ceases to function (stderr prints "Couldn't open
> file for appending: filename"). It happened first yesterday or the day
> before and I just restarted Xastir and everything was fine. Now today it
> happened again with the same symptoms. I checked the output of lsof and
> this is what I get for Xastir, for around 1000 lines:
>
> xastir    31869  oh2kku 1015u  sock        0,0             1910852 can't
> identify protocol
> xastir    31869  oh2kku 1016u  sock        0,0             1910859 can't
> identify protocol
> xastir    31869  oh2kku 1017u  sock        0,0             1910870 can't
> identify protocol
> xastir    31869  oh2kku 1018u  sock        0,0             1910877 can't
> identify protocol
>
> There are also the usual library files etc opened by Xastir. I guess the
> socket count is limited by ulimit, which is 1024 open files. I'm running
> Fedora Core 1 and Xastir from CVS, compiled on October 29. I have a
> feeling I didn't have this problem on the previous CVS build I was
> running that was maybe a few weeks to a month older.

I don't believe anything has been changed with respect to the
networking code.

Do you have the reconnect on network failure box checked for your
server?  Try unchecking that and see if you lose you connection.  I
suspect that either the other end or the link in-between is unstable
and somehow the downed sockets are not going away.