[Xastir] map levels don't work

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Nov 7 18:41:49 EST 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 05:06:28PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wes at kd4rdb.com> flavor, containing:
> Hmmm... maybe PCRE is the problem?

[...]
> Building with ShapeLib ............ : yes
> Building with pcre ................ : no
> Building with dbfawk .............. : no

Yep.  If you're not using ESRI's Tiger conversion, and have not installed
pcre, just about any shapefile you download will be rendered as black lines
no matter what they're meant to represent (there are exceptions, but the
2003 TIGER/Line data that Derrick converted won't be among them).

See if installing PCRE and reconfiguring/remaking xaster improves matters
for you.