[Xastir] Xastir Map quality

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 8 13:32:31 EST 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, David L. Martin wrote:

> I am extremely pleased with the map quality of the TigerMaps (online).
> With Xastir 1.4.0 is there any way to download the TigerMaps for offline
> use?
> I have tried several downloadable maps without finding any of good
> quality.

You have some options here:

1) Compile in Shapelib support.  Use the Tiger data converted to
Shapefiles from esri.com.  This will get you vector maps similar to
the Tigermap site using census.gov Tiger/line data that's been
converted to another format.  Has filled water polygons.

2) Compile in Shapelib, pcre, dbfawk support.  Use the 2003 Tiger
data converted to Shapefiles by some of our advanced Xastir users.
This will give you similar maps to the above but with newer map
data.  Water polygons will be missing though.  We're working on that
issue, so water polygon files for that data may be available soon.

3) Compile in GDAL support.  Use the raw tiger data from census.gov
directly.  Downside here is that this support is preliminary so you
don't want to turn on labels unless you're zoomed way in.  Smaller
features/labels don't disappear as you zoom out so it's a bit slower
and more cluttered.  Has filled water polygons as of a couple of
weeks ago (if you're using a very new Xastir).

Read README.MAPS for more ideas.  PocketAPRS/aprsDOS/WinAPRS maps
work in Xastir.