[Xastir] Xastir up and running!

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 10 10:52:49 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> >     One function I would like to get working is an autostart of Xastir upon
> > restart of the OS. I have tried batch files to no avail. Can anyone suggest
> > ad way to start Xastir under Cygwin on a Windows XP pro box?
>
> Sorry, can't help you on that one.  I don't run Windows unless I'm
> doing Cygwin test installs.  Hopefully someone else has automated
> this.
>
> Are you able to auto-start Cygwin ok?  You might want to peruse the
> web pages at www.cygwin.com to see if autostart of
> Cygwin/X11/Applications has been addressed there.  A google search
> might yield the answer even faster.

First thoughts:  ".profile" is parsed by the BASH shell on initial
login.  ".bashrc" is parsed by EVERY BASH shell that's started up.
See:

    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-files.html

If you set up a shortcut to Cygwin in your Startup folder, Cygwin
should start up.  That should cause a BASH shell to start as well.
In your .profile you should be able to start up X11.

There are startup files for X11 as well, so one of those might be a
good place to start Xastir.

Now the tricky part:  I think X11 will also start a BASH shell, and
you have to make sure that the .profile isn't run through by that
shell.  Is that one run as a "login" shell?  You don't want to have
the .profile run through more than once, else you'll get doubles of
things started up.

Check into files like .xinitrc, .xsession.  It looks like .xinitrc
is a good possibility, as it says in my Linux one that it is called
from "startx" when you start an X session.  Down near the bottom it
says "Add your own lines here...".

    http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/workshops/cool_unix/xinitrc.html

There are lots of other hits on Google when I type in "xsession
xinitrc".

Your window manager may have additional facilities to help start up
applications.

So:

    cygwin shortcut in Startup Folder
    start X11 from your .profile (specific command?)
    start xastir from the .xinitrc file

That might work.  Comments from anyone else on this?