[Xastir] (no subject)

Tate KC7ZRU kc7zru at arrl.net
Fri Nov 12 03:45:31 EST 2004

Curt, WE7U wrote:

| Latest stats.  Xastir is keeping up with APRS+SA fairly well up to
| at least a couple of million packets.  It looks like it is only a
| matter of time before Xastir will be the #3 most popular APRS
| client, instead of #4.

What with this news posted on the TAPR SIG - xastir may well be in
position to move up further than #3.

- ---

Quoting from Ken Collins' ( g4fip ) post on the UI-View Yahoo list this
morning:

=========================  PASTE ====================

I have delayed issuing this message to the list in the hope that I might
have some good news to ameliorate the bad news.

The bad news is, that despite many offers from around the world to
continue development of UI-View, Roger, rightly or wrongly, decided that
the development of the program as he envisaged it would not continue
after his death. Accordingly in his last wishes he instructed the family
and myself to destroy the source codes and consequently there will not
be any further development of UI-View.

This has not yet been done as, based on a conversation I had with Dee
and Roger before he died, I am asking permission to exclude the PMap
server source code from his instructions. If Dee and the family agree to
my request this might just be the good news. At the moment I am not
pressurizing the family for a decision on this.

As one of those who were involved with the program before it was known
as UI-View, and being responsible for publicly releasing UI-View v1.00,
I am as disappointed as many of you reading this message are, however,
whilst I might not agree with it, I can understand Roger's thinking on
this.

I would like to extend my thanks to all those who offered their services
to continue the development of UI-View. I'm sorry your offers were not
accepted.

Please do not contact Dee directly. Apart from the trauma of Roger's
passing, she has now returned to work and is still involved in all the
legal formalities and frustrations associated with a family death.

Ken

- -- Ken Collins - G4FIP E-mail:- g4fip at tiscali.co.uk
to imply that there will not be a revised PMap server add-in for
Precision Mapping 7.0.....

- --
Tate KC7ZRU
http://kc7zru.net