[Xastir] CVS Install

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 12 10:25:55 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Eric Gildersleeve wrote:

> I have Xastir up and running. Now if I can figure out how to start recieving
> datat through the inet that would be great. Anways time to open the manual I
> suppose.
>
> lesstif worked
> openmotif-dev did not work
>
> Don't know why.

Probably because you had lesstif and lesstif-devel, but didn't load
openmotif and openmotif-devel.  On my SuSE systems I have to load
either one or the other of the sets.  They duplicate each others
functionality, so you don't want both loaded.  Actually, I think you
can load both of the lesstif/openmotif libraries, but you only want
to load one of the devel packages.  I always choose openmotif
because it is much more bug-free.

> It will be nice when Linux works without
> having to program everything. Till then, it sure beats Windows. 8)

If/when you really get into this stuff, you'll see being able to
compile from sources as an advantage.  Consider the fact that the
same sources work on multiple operating systems with no changes.
Also remember that skipping the distribution of binary packages for
every OS/every OS version/every version of Xastir takes a tremendous
load off the developers.  That means you get more features/bug-fixes
per year.