[Xastir] (no subject)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Nov 12 11:59:55 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Rick Green wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > There'll be something to replace it on Windows.  I can only hope
> > it'll be half as good as what Roger had already done.

>  Some possibilities, not that I'm skilled enough or willing to personally
> pursue the first two:
>
> 1) Fork the xastir codebase, and use it to develop a version which uses a
> graphical widget set other than motif, for which native windows libraries
> exist.  (I've wished it used Qt instead of motif, so it could be ported to
> my sharp Zaurus!)

Regarding this one, you wouldn't have to fork it (with all the
possible problems that causes) if you could convince the main body
of developers to go in that direction.

Some of us would like to split up the existing code and implement an
SQL database back-end, plus a separate daemon to handle the
interfaces.  This would also allow us to break the GUI into multiple
pieces, so you could bring up a messaging window, a couple of
mapping windows, etc, and connect to the database remotely as well
from any of the clients.

That would be a good time to implement a new widget set as well, and
perhaps make Windows-native one of our compile targets (instead of
Windows-Cygwin-X11).

> 2) Implement the UIView plug-in API in another program, so that the
> plug-in develpoment has a life beyond the next release of windows.

Excellent idea.  Hopefully one or more programs will do that.

> 3) Educate the UIView userbase of the impending demise of their product,
> and assist them in overcoming the learning curve associated with the
> adoption of Linux for their APRS workstation...

Do you think we'd have much luck with that last?