[Xastir] (no subject)

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Fri Nov 12 12:18:45 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> > 3) Educate the UIView userbase of the impending demise of their product,
> > and assist them in overcoming the learning curve associated with the
> > adoption of Linux for their APRS workstation...
>
> Do you think we'd have much luck with that last?

  Actually, a thread here a month or so ago, describing mepis linux and an
apt repository with a pre-compiled binary of xastir, went a long way
towards making it accessable to the appliance operator.
  It's not just that we have to make the install simple, we have to make
it LOOK simple.  When I offer to set up a linux system for someone,
they're much more willing to use it when I accomplish the install and
setup quickly.  If they see me struggling in front of their computer for
three hours just to get the system installed and running, they don't have
a warm fuzzy about using it themselves once I'm gone.  If the install
appears simple and straightforward while they're looking over my shoulder,
they're much more willing to think 'I can do that!' and continue exploring
once I'm gone.

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin