[Xastir] Re: Multi-windowed Xastir Sessions

William Baguhn spqr at kc9asi.cjb.net
Fri Nov 12 19:15:40 EST 2004

(Lots of junk from original message cut out)

> > Just at thought - I love the idea of going modular; I would really like to
> > have multiple map windows open with various maps/zoom levels.
>   Actually, you can do that now.  Since August(?), xastir has supported a
> 'server port' to which other xastir instances can connect.  Run a 'master'
> xastir with the TNCs, etc. and a server port.  Run other xaster instances
> with just a single 'internet interface' pointing to the master instance.
>
> I've done this, from multiple computers around the house.  Question for
> Curt: Is there a way to have multiple config files, so that multiple
> instances can be run by a single user on a single machine?  I think
> currently they'd all be looking at ~/.xastir/ for their configs.

Or possibly, a way to have subsequent invocations of Xastir recognize
that a "master" Xastir is already running, and they should connect to
its server port instead of the hardware interfaces?

(~/.xastir/xastir.pid exists and contains a current HOSTNAME:PID,
 so that those 2 or 3 people using shared directories across the LAN
 can have things work?)
(probably also a configuration flag buried inside the config file,
 so that the behaviour is different on finding a running Xastir:
 default: connect to running instance,
    if pidfile.hostname==my.hostname (else open my own interfaces,
    and create pidfile)
 other: connect to running instance, if pidfile.hostname server
    port is reachable (else open own interfaces, create pidfile)
 other: ignore pidfile.hostname (open own interfaces, create pidfile)
 other: ignore pidfile.hostname (open own interfaces, no pidfile)
 other: if pidfile.hostname==my.hostname abort "Xastir already running!"

just a few bad ideas.)

--
KC9ASI - William Baguhn
http://www.qsl.net/kc9asi