[Xastir] Re: Cygwin Xastir help needed (Curt Mills)

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.com
Tue Nov 16 03:12:08 EST 2004

>> Would this problem have caused a problem with Shapefiles not available in
>> Xastir? I have errors during ./configure shown on the image at
>> http://www.kk6rw.com/shapefilerr.png  thats show usability of
>> hapefil  --
>> no.
>
> Configure is definitely having a problem finding/using Shapelib.
> That means that Shapefile support doesn't get compiled into the
> code, and any shapefiles won't show up in the Map Chooser.
>
> Assuming you made the changes Tom suggested first, try running the
> following commands to see if the configure command might be made to
> recognize it:
>
>    ./bootstrap.sh
>    ./configure
>
> If that doesn't work, try redoing the Shapelib portion of
> README.win32 to see if it is a Shapelib install problem.

Some partial success. I redid the Shapelib install procedure as defined in
README.win32 and now showing Shapelib support=yes. I also show dbfawk=yes
however, I am still unable to view any shapefile maps. I have downloaded the
WA.zip shapefile map from http://xastir.tamu.edu/ but cannot get anything to
show. I tried the maps at http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir/maps/shapefile/USA/
but again after untarring and placing in the map folders and setting the
permissions, still nothing. I'm pretty sure the APRS version of the NTSB
would classify this problem as pilot error, I would sure appreciate any
suggestions.

I'm not sure if my messing around with the Shapefiles have caused this new
problem but I am now having problems displaying the online toposerve and
online terraserver maps. If they do load, they come show as a small area in
the upper right ( as seen in the image: http://kk6rw.com/xastirscrn2.png ).
I am able to display the Online Tigermaps however as well as other handmade
.geo images. I was able to tile maps before I started messing around with
the Shapelib problem and I have also done a cvs update as well as a Cygwin
update in efforts to solve the problem. After doing the updates, there has
been no change. At one point during a ./configure of Xastir, an error was
generated saying Imagemagick was not supported yet the online Tigermap was
displayed. I then followed the instruction to download the Imagmagick binary
from http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir/ImageMagick/cygwin/ which I installed
and the Imagemagick library support error did not appear.

    I don't know what to do at this point, any suggestion would certainly be
appreciated!

The last item. I am running AGW oin Xastir using AGWPE pro. I have 2 tnc
ports available. In setup of AGW in Xastir, I specify port 2 yet both ports
are still feeding Xastir. I have tried a combination and still get both
ports feeding Xastir. Is there someplace to look for this problem or is
Xastir capable of using selective ports on AGW?

That about does it :-) I'm having fun with Xastir even with the problems!
Great work!

73,

Randy Whitney, KK6RW