[Xastir] Re: Cygwin Xastir help needed (Curt Mills)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 16 09:43:47 EST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, KK6RW wrote:

> Some partial success. I redid the Shapelib install procedure as defined in
> README.win32 and now showing Shapelib support=yes. I also show dbfawk=yes
> however, I am still unable to view any shapefile maps. I have downloaded the
> WA.zip shapefile map from http://xastir.tamu.edu/ but cannot get anything to
> show. I tried the maps at http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir/maps/shapefile/USA/
> but again after untarring and placing in the map folders and setting the
> permissions, still nothing. I'm pretty sure the APRS version of the NTSB
> would classify this problem as pilot error, I would sure appreciate any
> suggestions.

Did you reindex?  Are they showing up in the map chooser?  Are you
able to select them, but then they won't load?

The trick with Shapefiles:  There's no standard format for the DBF
portion of the file, which is where all of the attributes/labels are
stored.  The attributes can be of any number/type/order.  If Xastir
has been hard-coded to recognize the map (and you're not using
dbfawk), then it'll display nicely.  If you've got dbfawk installed
and you have either a default dbfawk file that works with the map or
a specific dbfawk file for it, then you're also in good shape.

It's when you have either of these two conditions that you might
have trouble displaying the map:

    No dbfawk installed, map type not hard-coded into Xastir.
    Dbfawk installed but no matching dbfawk file for your map.

> I'm not sure if my messing around with the Shapefiles have caused this new
> problem but I am now having problems displaying the online toposerve and
> online terraserver maps. If they do load, they come show as a small area in
> the upper right ( as seen in the image: http://kk6rw.com/xastirscrn2.png ).

That shows you have two rasters selected.  Don't do that.  Just
select one online raster image at a time.  About the only ways it
might make sense to select more than one raster at a time are:

    Lots of one type of raster, which tile together to make a larger
    map.

    Online radar images where part of it is transparent, so that the
    lower raster image can show through.

> The last item. I am running AGW oin Xastir using AGWPE pro. I have 2 tnc
> ports available. In setup of AGW in Xastir, I specify port 2 yet both ports
> are still feeding Xastir. I have tried a combination and still get both
> ports feeding Xastir. Is there someplace to look for this problem or is
> Xastir capable of using selective ports on AGW?

It is capable of that.  For transmit.  For receive it uses a
function in AGWPE where all packets on all ports come into Xastir.