[Xastir] Re: Cygwin Xastir help needed

KK6RW kk6rw at kk6rw.com
Tue Nov 16 16:15:26 EST 2004

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, KK6RW wrote:
>
>> Some partial success. I redid the Shapelib install procedure as defined
>> in
>> README.win32 and now showing Shapelib support=yes. I also show dbfawk=yes
>> however, I am still unable to view any shapefile maps. I have downloaded
>> the
>> WA.zip shapefile map from http://xastir.tamu.edu/ but cannot get anything
>> show. I tried the maps at
>> http://wetnet.net/~we7u/xastir/maps/shapefile/USA/
>> but again after untarring and placing in the map folders and setting the
>> permissions, still nothing. I'm pretty sure the APRS version of the NTSB
>> would classify this problem as pilot error, I would sure appreciate any
>> suggestions.
>
> Did you reindex?  Are they showing up in the map chooser?  Are you
> able to select them, but then they won't load?

Yes, I did reindex but they do not show up in the map chooser.

> The trick with Shapefiles:  There's no standard format for the DBF
> portion of the file, which is where all of the attributes/labels are
> stored.  The attributes can be of any number/type/order.  If Xastir
> has been hard-coded to recognize the map (and you're not using
> dbfawk), then it'll display nicely.  If you've got dbfawk installed
> and you have either a default dbfawk file that works with the map or
> a specific dbfawk file for it, then you're also in good shape.
>
> It's when you have either of these two conditions that you might
> have trouble displaying the map:
>
>    No dbfawk installed, map type not hard-coded into Xastir.
>    Dbfawk installed but no matching dbfawk file for your map.

I have the second condition. Will the absence of the dbfawk file cause the
map not to show in the map chooser?

>> I'm not sure if my messing around with the Shapefiles have caused this
>> new
>> problem but I am now having problems displaying the online toposerve and
>> online terraserver maps. If they do load, they come show as a small area
>> in
>> the upper right ( as seen in the image:
>> http://kk6rw.com/xastirscrn2.png ).
>
> That shows you have two rasters selected.  Don't do that.  Just
> select one online raster image at a time.  About the only ways it
> might make sense to select more than one raster at a time are:
>
>    Lots of one type of raster, which tile together to make a larger
>    map.
>
>    Online radar images where part of it is transparent, so that the
>    lower raster image can show through.

I understand now about the display of the raster maps, perhaps that is my
problem or what caused the problems. I _cannot_ display the online
toposerver map or online terraserver map at all now. If I choose one or the
other, a blank screen with no watch showing and no info showing map loading.
I can choose online Tigerline maps and also the online US and TX radar maps
but they will not lay over top of the tigerline map. I tried changing the
map properties for the radar maps as Tom suggested in his email with no
success.

>> The last item. I am running AGW oin Xastir using AGWPE pro. I have 2 tnc
>> ports available. In setup of AGW in Xastir, I specify port 2 yet both
>> ports
>> are still feeding Xastir. I have tried a combination and still get both
>> ports feeding Xastir. Is there someplace to look for this problem or is
>> Xastir capable of using selective ports on AGW?
>
> It is capable of that.  For transmit.  For receive it uses a
> function in AGWPE where all packets on all ports come into Xastir.

Sure would be nice to have the option on receive also...where is that
feature wish list page??
--
> Curt, WE7U          http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
Tom's response:

Also, if you're using raster maps and shapefile maps together, there is
a possibility (probability) that your shapefiles are underneath the raster.

If you turn off the online tiger and toposerver maps, do your shapefiles
show up?  If that's the case, then you just have to use map properties to
bump the layer number for your shapefiles up above the default of 0 --
if everything's at 0, things get rendered in alphabetical order.

That's the catch, I'm not displaying the shapefile maps in the map chooser.
I'll have to get that problem worked out first.
Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "Politics consists of choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable."
                                      -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Since these problems have started, now a new one has surfaced last night. I
have the snapshots enabled but getting this error:

convert: No encode delegate for this image format
(/home/Randy/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.png).
System call return error: convert: /home/Randy/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.xpm ->
/home/Randy/.xastir/tmp/snapshot.png

The problem seems to be related as it is dealing with an image file.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Randy Whitney
http://northwest.aprs2.net